Monday, February 15, 2010

Where milk comes from

Today we visited a dairy farm. I met several amazing women at a mother-daughter retreat that Juju and I went to a few weeks ago. Two of the amazing women have dairy farms, the other a chinchilla farm! Today we visited one of the dairy farms.
Z and I let the baby calves suck on our fingers. It was so cute!
Then I had to let the saliva dry before I could put my gloves back on.
It was really cold. It was a huge farm with hundreds of cows.
Z accidentally got squirted in the face with cow milk!
Ben and I love exposing our kids to real life! Below are the real professionals, Elijah and Moriah live at the farm and are showing us how it's done.

We also checked out their chicken coop for our own purposes. Their farm cats and their chickens drank out of the same milk bowl. Yup, you heard right, we're in the planning stage of building our own chicken coop! After seeing this farm, it feels like small potatoes, but it's big for us!

Lent starts Wednesday! Anyone want to join us? My sister-in-law, Debbi (the one in Uganda) has always invited me to join her in observing Lent. Every year I'm so glad I did. You can fast from something like sugar or something that is tempting for you or you can take on something that you'd like to do, like pray or read your Bible...or go to church! The Wigtons are giving up TV, in the middle of our third snow storm in a week and a half. No videos, just a couple hours on Saturday morning allowed. It'll be hard especially without warm weather, we'll keep you posted on all that we learn from it. It's always a good reminder of God's grace and how much we need it. Happy Fat Tuesday!

2 comments:

mattmarie said...

Loved your pictures of the farm!! Looks like you had a good time in the cold weather.

I observe Lent...and find it very meaningful. I like to follow the religious calendar because it keeps me connected with the life of Jesus.

mattmarie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.