Monday, January 29, 2007

Ye of great faith

First off, thanks for all the awesome comments after "To the Pure...". Our discussion is so much more valuable than just my zerbik thoughts.

So, after the inspiration of one special Zerbik reader, I was reading my Bible, the first chapter of Luke, since one of the characters in a book I'd recently read was reading Luke. This is what stuck out to me: Zacharias was told by the angel Gabriel that his wife would bear a son (John), even though she was really old. The first thing out of his mouth was, "How can I know that this is true?" A thought I've often had after I've felt God speak to me or urge me to do something. Right there and then Gabriel gives him an old fashioned consequence for doubting and makes him mute until John's birth. In the same chapter, we have Mary and Elisabeth, stellar examples of faith! Mary is told she will carry God's baby (which is pretty overwhelming) and she says, "I belong to the Lord, body and soul, let it happen as you say." Elisabeth hadn't even been told of what happened, but when Mary arrives at her door she says, "What an honor it is to have the mother of my Lord come to see me! As soon as your greeting reached my ears, the child within me jumped for joy! Oh, how happy is the woman who believes in God, for his promises to her come true." Now get ready for my favorite part. Mary replies, "My heart is overflowing with praise of my Lord, my soul is full of joy in God my Saviour. For he has deigned to notice me, his humble servant and all generations to come will call me the happiest of women! The One who can do all things has done great things for me - oh, holy is his Name!"


I just had to share that with you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post really explains what i have been feeling lately. I am just so overjoyed that God answered one of my prayers. I did doubt God that he would ever answer my prayer that i could have an animal and ever feel happy and content with myself. Now everything seems so clear to me and i should never doubt God. He will give me my needs not all of my wants. God Knew when the time was right to let me have a kitten and when it would really help me out. So i what i have learned from the long time i was doubting God is that I should just be patient and trust in him no matter how bad I want something.

PS- Happy Birthday Becca! Love you Rachel

Anonymous said...

Wow! Attitude check, Chris. Mary was given a great honor, but one that would totally complicate her life. Instead of focusing on the complications she chose to rejoice that God even noticed her. I have been such a whiner since God answered my prayer by giving Josh a wonderful new job. I need to rejoice that God worked in our lives on our behalf instead of focusing on my own discomfort in the new situation.