Monday, July 13, 2009

Who Screams for Ice Cream?

WE DO!!! Here's a couple of ways to have fun with ice cream this summer!
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes!
Wrap colorful ice cream cones with foil and place in muffin tin. Prepare a cake mix and fill halfway with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool completely....
...then top with icing and add sprinkles! You can also fill cones less full,
bake, cool and add ice cream on top instead of icing.
I just used icing and they were a hit at Z's Summer program he goes to on Wednesdays.

Homemade Ice Cream!

Speaking of which, I learned a really cool trick at his Whoop it up, Wednesdays program! Get this, you can make homemade ice cream...ready? IN A BAG! I love it! Here's what we gave the kids to make it:

Ingredients:
1 c. half and half
3 T. sugar
1 T. vanilla
6 T. table salt
Gallon bag, half full of ice

Yup, you just add the salt to the ice bag, then put the first three ingredients in a quart sized bag, zip it, throw it in the bag of ice and get shakin'! I've heard the baggie of cream mixture can be put in a coffee can full of ice and salt and kicked around, rolled down a hill, etc. Ours needed shook for 7 minutes. This was so much fun to make and tasted so very good! I paid for it later. I get hypnotized by homemade ice cream and forget that I'm lactose intolerant.

Housing Update...
It comes down to this. We signed the papers on Friday to sell our house. The buyer signed on Saturday. The woman the buyer is not yet divorced from, however, has yet to sign her paper. Turns out we MUST have her signature before our closing is final. She held out to get more alimony, he's given her everything she's asked for. So, we're praying she doesn't ask for more and hold up the closing any longer. We were supposed to close on June 30th! She was supposed to sign today, but hasn't yet....it's 1:45pm. I'll keep you posted.

In other, more happy news, I wrote an article on homeschooling for Tuscmom.com and it was posted today on their site! Click here to read it!

Finally, a little clip of our Juju. Notice how she opens her mouth to get me to do the same! She is a little parrot and was recently mimicking the goats we heard at a farm! She sings and dances to music anytime she hears it and just cut her first top tooth. Thank heavens for teething tablets!

1 comment:

kristina said...

Hey there! Good luck with the closing details. How frustrating! Soon enough, it will be all worked out, and you will breath SUCH a sigh of relief. :)

Neat ice cream making idea. I just bought an ice maker attachment for my kitchen aid, because my soy ice cream is $5.15 a PINT! I'll make that money back so fast on what I will save by making soy ice cream, instead of buying. I made cookies and cream yesterday. Yummy.

Nice homeschooling article. I loved the point that if the kids are weird, then look to the parents. I think SO much of what sticks out in our minds about homeschooling families ARE the weird ones, but you are right... they'd be weird anyway. That said, I feel "weird" talking about weird people. Feels unkind, somehow. :)